Essential International Student Terms: Your Dictionary For Aussie Academic Lingo

Essential International Student Terms: Your Dictionary For Aussie Academic Lingo

Ever find yourself drowning in a sea of academic jargon? Don’t worry, you’re not alone! Let’s take a breather and break down some confusing terms you might encounter during your student journey, especially if you’re an international student. Grab a snack, and let’s get started!

AQF (Australian Qualifications Framework)

So, think of the AQF as your guidebook to the world of Aussie education. It tells you what level you’re at and what you can expect to achieve with your qualification.


Assessment is basically how your teachers check if you’ve been paying attention in class. It could be anything from written tasks to practical tests – just show what you know!

ASQA (Australian Skills Quality Authority)

ASQA is like the quality control team for vocational education. They make sure RTOs are up to scratch and giving students the best possible training.

Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

Your CoE is like your ticket to the Aussie education party. You need it to get your student visa sorted and start your studies.

CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students)

Australian education providers that offer courses to students studying in Australia on student visas, and the courses they offer, need to be registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Department of Home Affairs (DHA)

These guys handle all the visa stuff and keep an eye on who’s coming and going in Australia. They’re like the bouncers of the immigration world.

Domestic Student

This includes students who are Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens or holders of a Australian permanent visa (including Humanitarian visas).

ESOS Act (Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000)

This act is all about making sure international students get a fair go in Aussie education. It’s like a set of rules to make sure everyone plays nice.

International Representatives

These are the folks who help international students find their feet in Australia. Think of them as your friendly neighbourhood guides to student life.

International Student

You are an international student if you are not an Australian or New Zealand citizen (or dual citizen of Australia or New Zealand), a permanent resident of Australia or a holder of a permanent Australian humanitarian visa. International students need to hold an appropriate visa that allows them to study in Australia. A student who is not domestic holds a student visa and is protected by the ESOS legislative framework.

Intervention Strategy

A plan of action was adopted and communicated to the student to address and reduce the causes of not maintaining satisfactory attendance for those students identified as at risk academically.

LMS (Learning Management System)

Your LMS is like your digital classroom – it’s where you go to check out lectures, submit assignments, and generally keep on top of your studies.

National Code

This is like the rulebook for Aussie education providers when it comes to international students. It’s there to make sure everyone gets a fair deal.

Record of Results

Your record of results is basically your academic report card. It keeps track of all your grades and achievements throughout your studies.

Registered Training Organisation (RTO)

RTOs are all about practical, hands-on learning. They’ll help you get the skills you need for the real world, just like Mindroom Innovation.

VET (Vocational Education and Training)

VET is all about getting you ready for the workforce. It’s practical, job-focused training that’ll help you land your dream job.

And there you have it – your very own student dictionary! Armed with these international student terms, you’ll be navigating the student world like a pro. Keep learning and exploring, and remember – you’ve got this!

Ready to Start Building Your Dream Career on the Beautiful Gold Coast? Fill Out The Form Below!